The Family Day of Service (FDS) is a signature event, now in its 4th year, powered by the Family Strengthening Network, in partnership with the Volunteer Center of South Jersey. FDS is a day of service that celebrates the power of families who work together to support their communities and neighborhoods.
Over the course of this three day weekend in May, families, students, and workplaces will join together to serve in a volunteer project that directly benefits the community in which they live, work, and play. And volunteering is a great way for kids and adults to make new friends, develop compassion for their neighbors, and even pick up a new skill or two!
VCSJ is proud to bring this event to South Jersey, allowing us all to be part of something bigger! This year’s goals include mobilizing more than 2,000 people, particularly those new to volunteering, communicate directly to families to talk about the importance of raising kind, caring and compassionate young people through service and of course, making volunteering quick, easy, and fun!
What we know…
Volunteering as a family helps:
- Families spend quality time together
- Parents role model positive behavior
- Provides space to have meaningful and important discussions about social issues
- Sets foundation for an ethic of giving that can continue through to adulthood
- Supports development of life and leadership skills
As a participant in this great event, we ask that you too promote your participation and the event. Your help will extend our reach and together we will raise awareness about FDS.
How can our organization participate?
There are various ways you can participate as an organization, as an individual or as a family or group.
- VCSJ’s “Be the Change – It Starts with Family” Event will take place on May 20, 2017 from 10am to 2pm at a location to be determined. Activities include:
- Mini Non-profit Fair – up to 12 spots designated for NPOs to set-up with their outreach materials, conduct and activity and/or donation drop-site at their table, if they choose.
- VCSJ Activity Tables – TBD
- To register for this event click here.
- NPO On-site group volunteer opportunities – Is there something that your organization needs? Do you have a project sitting on the back burner that a group of volunteers might be able to help you do, while supporting your mission? The SJ Family Day of Service supports these family friendly group opportunities. Click here to register your on-site project.
In an effort to make your participation easier and more enjoyable, we have developed a participation toolkit to help. FDS NPO Toolkit 2017.