Family Volunteer Day is a day of service that celebrates the power of families who work together to support their communities and neighborhoods. Points of Light created the day to showcase the benefits of family volunteering and provide opportunities for families to help communities create supportive environments for their children and each other. This year, Family Volunteer Day in South Jersey events are being coordinated by the Volunteer Center of South Jersey, powered by generationOn and sponsored by The Walt Disney Company, a global initiative that inspires kids and families to take action to help people, communities and the planet.
When is Family Volunteer Day? Family Volunteer Day takes place every year on the Saturday
before the Thanksgiving Holiday. This year FVD is on November 18, 2017.
How will Family Volunteer Day make an impact?
In 2017, Family Volunteer Day will:
● Engage and inspire families across the country and around the world to participate in
this signature day for families.
● Provide an opportunity for families and organizations to share their story of volunteering
for a chance to win prizes.
This year’s goals include mobilizing more than 2,000 people, communicate directly to families to talk about the importance of raising kind, caring and compassionate young people through service and of course, making volunteering quick, easy, and fun!
What we know…
Volunteering as a family helps:
- Families spend quality time together
- Parents role model positive behavior
- Provides space to have meaningful and important discussions about social issues
- Sets foundation for an ethic of giving that can continue through to adulthood
- Supports development of life and leadership skills
As a participant in this great event, we ask that you too promote your participation and the event. Your help will extend our reach and together we will raise awareness about FVD.
How can our organization participate?
There are various ways you can participate as an organization, as an individual or as a family or group.
- VCSJ’s “Be the Change – It Starts with Family” Event will take place in three locations (Atlantic, Cumberland and Gloucester Counties) on November 18, 2017 from 10am to 2pm. Activities include:
- Mini Non-profit Fair – up to 15 spots designated for NPOs to set-up with their outreach materials, conduct and activity and/or donation drop-site at their table, if they choose.
- VCSJ Activity Tables – TBD
- To register for this event click here.
- NPO On-site group volunteer opportunities – Is there something that your organization needs? Do you have a project sitting on the back burner that a group of volunteers might be able to help you do, while supporting your mission? The Family Day of Service supports these family friendly group opportunities. Click here to register your on-site project.
In an effort to make your participation easier and more enjoyable, we have developed a participation toolkit.